Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Quiet Time Devotion


This post is a little different…sharing from my heart today. The one day of the week I look forward to is Tuesday. Tuesday is my designated off day at work and I love to stay at home with Caroline and relax. This morning was great because the weather was cool enough this morning where I could read my Bible and have my quiet time on the porch while she napped in the living room. Side note- it made it even more awesome that I had coffee and pound cake for breakfast. I have a journal book that I take sermon notes and journal in as well. I decided to look back and read a sermon from Francis Chan from Passion this morning and it really spoke to me (again) and I thought I would share the scripture and the notes.

Exodus 19: 9-12

And all the people responded together, “We will do everything the Lord has commanded.” So Moses brought the people’s answer back to the Lord.
Then the Lord said to Moses, “I will come to you in a thick cloud, Moses, so the people themselves can hear me when I speak with you. Then they will always trust you.”
Moses told the Lord what the people had said. 10 Then the Lord told Moses, “Go down and prepare the people for my arrival. Consecrate them today and tomorrow, and have them wash their clothing. 11 Be sure they are ready on the third day, for on that day the Lord will come down on Mount Sinai as all the people watch. 12 Mark off a boundary all around the mountain. Warn the people, ‘Be careful! Do not go up on the mountain or even touch its boundaries. Anyone who touches the mountain will certainly be put to death.

I want to be very honest here and say that sometimes when I see Old Testament scripture like this, my first thought is that it won't apply to me. I was so wrong when reading this. Francis says that our generation questions God for setting any boundaries for us. It is very evident in this passage that God gave Moses and his people specific instructions for meeting him. How much do we actually take advantage of the fact that we do not have to follow a list of instructions nor go to the Temple to speak with God? I actually just did it on my front porch in my pajamas, at my own convenience. We tend to treat our encounters with God with so much carelessness and like it is such a burden! These people with Moses were in awe to see Moses have an encounter with God and we squeeze in 2-3 minutes for him each day? (This part really got me!) So today I am thanking God that he will meet me right where I am, no matter where I am in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment